Camera mounting

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Jul 8 00:15:36 UTC 2014

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> Allegedly, on or about 06 July 2014, lee sent:
>> Why would anyone but root be allowed to mount something?
>
> Because *I* put a CD, DVD, USB drive, into *my* computer, logged in as
> *myself*...

That doesn't mean that you should be allowed to mount it when you're not
root.  And your computer doesn't know /who/ added some media, does it.

> If I have to be root, or gain root privileges, to do such a basic
> requirement, these days, then security is being busted by either knowing
> the root password, or being allowed to use my own password for such a
> hazardous thing.

Security is more likely to be busted by users carelessly mounting file
systems than it is by users knowing the passwords for their computers,
unless busted intentionally.

Anyway, I wonder why the OP doesn't just mount the camera as usual.  It
seemed to be mountable.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)