Camera mounting

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jul 8 00:55:46 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 05:15 PM, lee wrote:
> Tim<ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>  writes:
>
>> >Allegedly, on or about 06 July 2014, lee sent:
>> >
>> >Because*I*  put a CD, DVD, USB drive, into*my*  computer, logged in as
>> >*myself*...
> That doesn't mean that you should be allowed to mount it when you're not
> root.  And your computer doesn't know/who/  added some media, does it.

I'm using F 19 with Xfce.  If I insert a flash drive, it's mounted
without asking for a password because that's what I told Xfce how I
wanted this handled.  The same thing goes for my mp3 player and camera.
  For various reasons, I have a partition on my hard drive that's not in
/etc/fstab.  It doesn't get mounted at boot although there's an icon for
it on my desktop.  Mounting it requires the root password, although
oddly enough I can un-mount it without any password.  If this were a
server, things would probably be set up differently but considering that
I'm the only person who uses this computer, it's configured more for
convenience than security.  Each person's needs are different, and this
is just another example where *nix lets people do things their own way
instead of insisting that there's One True Way.