why do we use systemd?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Tue Jul 8 01:13:26 UTC 2014

lee writes:

> Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 12:27:53 +0200
>> lee wrote:
>>
>>> Debian and centos use sysvinit; I don't know what others use.
>>
>> Not for long.
>
> Debian says that wheezy comes with it[1], yet it didn't (other than
> perhaps as an option) as I can see from what I have installed.

Confirmed. I put wheezy on my mother's computer not that long ago. I wasn't
even looking for systemd at that time, and whenever I log into her system
to administer it, I'm still using the old init scripts.

> It would
> suck to be forced to use it, and it would prove ppl lying who are
> claiming that free software is about freedom ...

I had been under the impression that their decision would take effect with
a future release. According to this:

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd

"systemd was included in Debian wheezy as a technology preview"

However, it appears that even though they have taken their vote, and chosen
systemd, they have not yet developed service files for all their packages
(neither has Fedora), and that they will support alternatives:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00281.html

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the