The new skype-4.3.0.37 is out. Build your own rpm for Fedora 20

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 20:33:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:

> On 07/08/2014 11:51 AM, JD issued this missive:
>
>> Well, I would like to see a fully open source and secure
>> SIP app like skype.
>>

> Wow, JD. A simple google search would have revealed a lot on that front.
>
> Some FOSS SIP servers:
> Asterisk, FreeSWITCH, Mysipsqitch, OpenSER, sipX
>
> Some FOSS SIP clients:
> Ekiga, Linphone, Twinkle, Empathy, Blink, Jitsi, Kphone, PhoneGaim
>
> AFAIK, none of the clients are compatible with the proprietary and
> closed Skype system. There is a Pidgin plugin you can use with Skype's
> IM mechanism should you want to use it (I do). Several of them can use
> an encryption mechanism. Skype is no more secure than any Internet-
> based app and, in fact, may be less so since it is proprietary and all
> communications goes through Microsoft's servers (and God only knows what
> they do with the info).
>
> I've used both Ekiga and Empathy quite a bit with an Asterisk SIP server
> and they work quite well. I did use Twinkle, too, but that was long ago.

​How was the audio quality?
What about calls with video?

Most of my contacts are on skype, and I just
do not see people switching to any of the servers
you mention - ostensibly, because such servers and
clients are not so well known., especially since most
open source servers/clients are for the *nixes and *nuxes.
Most people on windows would not switch to open systems
like Linux - primarily because they are not so technically
inclined, or do not wish to learn to navigate and maintain
a different kind of system. People seem inclined towards
what is familiar :)

Re: encryption - yes I agree. I would like to see 4kbit
 or higher keys/passwords used.