The new skype-4.3.0.37 is out. Build your own rpm for Fedora 20

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jul 9 16:51:08 UTC 2014

On 07/08/2014 01:33 PM, JD issued this missive:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com
> <mailto:ricks at alldigital.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/08/2014 11:51 AM, JD issued this missive:
>
>         Well, I would like to see a fully open source and secure
>         SIP app like skype.
>

>     Wow, JD. A simple google search would have revealed a lot on that front.
>
>     Some FOSS SIP servers:
>     Asterisk, FreeSWITCH, Mysipsqitch, OpenSER, sipX
>
>     Some FOSS SIP clients:
>     Ekiga, Linphone, Twinkle, Empathy, Blink, Jitsi, Kphone, PhoneGaim
>
>     AFAIK, none of the clients are compatible with the proprietary and
>     closed Skype system. There is a Pidgin plugin you can use with Skype's
>     IM mechanism should you want to use it (I do). Several of them can use
>     an encryption mechanism. Skype is no more secure than any Internet-
>     based app and, in fact, may be less so since it is proprietary and all
>     communications goes through Microsoft's servers (and God only knows
>     what they do with the info).
>
>     I've used both Ekiga and Empathy quite a bit with an Asterisk SIP server
>     and they work quite well. I did use Twinkle, too, but that was long ago.
>

> ​How was the audio quality?

The audio is comparable (depends on the codecs you use).

> What about calls with video?

It depends on the SIP server (and client) as to whether video works or
not. The only time I really used it was with Ekiga and the video was
fine.

> Most of my contacts are on skype, and I just
> do not see people switching to any of the servers
> you mention - ostensibly, because such servers and
> clients are not so well known., especially since most
> open source servers/clients are for the *nixes and *nuxes.
> Most people on windows would not switch to open systems
> like Linux - primarily because they are not so technically
> inclined, or do not wish to learn to navigate and maintain
> a different kind of system. People seem inclined towards
> what is familiar :)

The heavy lifting in Skype is done by Microsoft. They maintain the
servers and such so, yeah, the administration is off your shoulders.
They also have a model that permits you to use skype to call
conventional land-lines. You can do that with SIP as well, but you have
to come up with a way to pay for those land-line connections (unless you
choose to be charitable and give access for free...not necessarily a
good idea).

I've deployed a number of SIP platforms. Once they're set up, they work
a treat and I've had very little to have to do to manage them other than
the occasional user addition, mailbox change, voice prompt change, etc.
It's very similar to an old-style PBX system as far as management is
concerned, but generally a lot more flexible than a PBX.

> Re: encryption - yes I agree. I would like to see 4kbit
>   or higher keys/passwords used.
-       Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at     -
-                 from both sides. --A.M. Greeley                    -