why do we use systemd?

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Wed Jul 9 13:45:08 UTC 2014

On 7/9/2014 07:12, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> All major distributions at this point have switched to systemd or in
> the process of doing so which should tell you the value of it.

With respect, just because there is consensus among governing entities
doesn't necessarily mean that the decision is good for everyone.
Consensus != Fact.  History is replete with examples.

I've been following this discussion and it appears obvious to me that
there are some serious issues both philosophical and practical with the
adoption of systemd.  To dismiss these issues and assign worth to the
adoption of systemd merely because, as you have said, "everyone else is
doing it" sounds illogical and ill-advised.

My mom always said, "If everyone else is jumping off the bridge, would
you follow?"

Tom