why do we use systemd?

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Wed Jul 9 14:50:35 UTC 2014

On 7/9/2014 09:57, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Sure but if you want to go against the consensus, you will have to do
> something more concrete.

That is precisely why I challenged your assertion that the value of
systemd was because everyone was adopting it.  The reason you gave for
dismissing all of the gripes about systemd was anything but concrete.

> So far, there are parts of systemd including logind which simply does
> not have any alternative that is actually maintained.

This is more of the kind of concrete argument I have come to expect from
you from my time on these lists.  So basically the world desperately
needs what logind does and since there was no alternative, all the other
negative aspects of systemd must be tolerated as a result.  I'm willing
to accept such reasoning if this is the case.  No solution is ever
perfect, to be sure.

I am more of a software developer than a system architecture person so I
will freely admit to not understanding the nuances of the whole systemd
adoption issue.  However, my experience over the years with programming
and system design make me sensitive to non-substantive arguments for the
adoption of something new for its own sake.

Thanks for the clarification, Rahul.

Tom