why do we use systemd?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:57:26 UTC 2014

Hi

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Tom Rivers wrote:

> On 7/9/2014 09:57, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Sure but if you want to go against the consensus, you will have to do
>> something more concrete.
>>

> That is precisely why I challenged your assertion that the value of
> systemd was because everyone was adopting it.  The reason you gave for
> dismissing all of the gripes about systemd was anything but concrete.

You are conflating two different discussions here.   I just pointed out
that there is a consensus among a diverse set of distributions which have
adopted systemd as the default in response to a discussion about voting in
Debian.  That has nothing to do with addressing potential issues.  If there
are concrete criticisms, they should ideally be in the form of bug reports
to reach the developers directly.  However when I come across
misunderstandings, I point them out.  I must note that so far haven't read
much in the thread in terms of concrete issues and if there are any,
burying it in the midst of a long thread isn't helpful which goes back to
my suggestion on filing bug reports instead.

>So basically the world desperately needs what logind does and since there
was no alternative, all the other negative aspects of >systemd must be
tolerated as a result.

Well no, that isn't what I said but if anyone is pushing for alternatives,
they should understand that systemd isn't just a init system and some of
the tools that are part of systemd project have no real alternatives at all
(logind is just one example).   The interfaces are well documented and
developing a replacement is feasible if needed (not that I buy into that
claim).

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InterfacePortabilityAndStabilityChart/

Rahul

Rahul