why do we use systemd?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:24:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 11:57:26 -0400
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> if anyone is pushing for alternatives,
> they should understand that systemd isn't just a init system

Which is, of course, the primary thing that is wrong with it :-).

Unix/linux grew successfully for years by dividing things into
small independent pieces and making them work on one thing well.

Systemd is now engulfing practically all of linux. A bug in one
piece can make dozens of other things fail, and it is so large
and complex that there *will* be bugs in pieces of it.

When there were separate bits, you could simply turn off the
bits you had no need for.

A monolithic systemd can't be turned off or even down. In fact
it has been instructive to watch the memory indicator
in my gkrellm monitor on my not very big system at work.
It has been steadily moving up every fedora release.