why do we use systemd?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:43:57 UTC 2014

Hi

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Tom Horsley  wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 11:57:26 -0400
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > if anyone is pushing for alternatives,
> > they should understand that systemd isn't just a init system
>
> Which is, of course, the primary thing that is wrong with it :-).
>
> Unix/linux grew successfully for years by dividing things into
> small independent pieces and making them work on one thing well.
>
> Systemd is now engulfing practically all of linux. A bug in one
> piece can make dozens of other things fail, and it is so large
> and complex that there *will* be bugs in pieces of it.

This isn't the case.  systemd isn't monolithic.  it is a collection of
tools with a shared codebase where most of the tools are optional.  Even
Fedora doesn't use many of them yet although adoption of the tools will
likely increase over time because they are actually useful which isn't
something I can say about philosophical discussions.

Rahul