why do we use systemd?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Jul 10 08:39:48 UTC 2014

Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23 PM, lee wrote:
>
>> Then they should do it again.
>>

> That is a Debian maintainers decision.

That doesn't mean that they shouldn't do it again.

>> That doesn't mean that users shouldn't get to vote.
>
> It just means voting isn't how distribution choose system components.

Which doesn't mean that that it is a good way to do so.

>>   Switching to something
>
>> because there is no alternative means that it wasn't possible to make a
>> choice.  Am I to assume that all major distributions were forced to use
>> systemd?
>

> Forced?  This is open source software.  If distributions wanted to have
> alternatives they are free to develop one or continue maintaining things
> like ConsoleKit.  They voluntarily choose to use systemd because it was the
> best maintained choice

See, they didn't really have a choice.  Developing an alternative or
continuing to maintain alternatives requires resources which they might
not have or rather devote to something else.

>> I don't know about logind.  Why would that be required?  I can still log
>> in without just fine when systemd isn't used.
>

> Perhaps you should look up what logind does yourself to understand why it
> is required.  It is fairly basic information if you want to engage in a
> debate about systemd.

Again there's no argument here that speaks for systemd.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)