why do we use systemd?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 02:34:56 UTC 2014

Hi

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23 PM, lee wrote:

> Then they should do it again.

That is a Debian maintainers decision.

> That doesn't mean that users shouldn't get to vote.

It just means voting isn't how distribution choose system components.

>   Switching to something

> because there is no alternative means that it wasn't possible to make a
> choice.  Am I to assume that all major distributions were forced to use
> systemd?

Forced?  This is open source software.  If distributions wanted to have
alternatives they are free to develop one or continue maintaining things
like ConsoleKit.  They voluntarily choose to use systemd because it was the
best maintained choice

> I don't know about logind.  Why would that be required?  I can still log
> in without just fine when systemd isn't used.

Perhaps you should look up what logind does yourself to understand why it
is required.  It is fairly basic information if you want to engage in a
debate about systemd.

Rahul