why do we use systemd?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Jul 10 01:23:53 UTC 2014

Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:03 AM, lee  wrote:
>
>> Apparently the project secretary has a hand in it, and sponsors are
>> needed.  So maybe it's not as easy as it seems.
>>

> It is fairly easy to bring any proposal to vote.  Debian has done it
> numerous times.

Then they should do it again.

>> Too bad that the users never get to vote.
>>

> There is no way to determine accurately who is a open source project user
> or who is a random troll online.  You basically have to let the whole
> internet vote which I far from convince is a useful thing especially for
> system level software.

That doesn't mean that users shouldn't get to vote.

> All major distributions at this point have switched to systemd or in
> the process of doing so which should tell you the value of it.

That someone or something switches to something doesn't mean that what
is being switched to has any particular value or is any good.

I think in further posts you even say that there is no alternative
available for things brought about by systemd.  Switching to something
because there is no alternative means that it wasn't possible to make a
choice.  Am I to assume that all major distributions were forced to use
systemd?

I don't know about logind.  Why would that be required?  I can still log
in without just fine when systemd isn't used.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)