why do we use systemd?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Jul 10 08:34:06 UTC 2014

Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:42 PM, lee  wrote:
>
>> I made a bug report suggesting to fix their misunderstanding of what
>> "disabled" means.  It would have been very easy to fix, but they
>> declined.
>>
>> Why should I make any further bug reports about systemd when they don't
>> want to even fix important things like this?
>>

> I would suggest that the misunderstanding is on your part instead as noted
> in another reply.

Please look up the meaning of "disabled" in some dictionaries and ask
some arbitrary people what it means.

> However even if it weren't true,  we all get bug reports
> closed from time to time with a resolution different from what we want.
> The right approach in that case is to post to the list and try and build
> consensus and provide strong arguments to make your case.  If people agree
> with us, perhaps we can change the developers position but on the other
> hand, if we fail to build that consensus, we just agree to disagree and
> move on. If we take our balls and run home everytime someone disagrees with
> us, we can never really participate in any open source project.

First you (at least I think it was you) suggest to make bug reports
instead of discussing things on a mailing list, now you suggest the
opposite?

The bug report has been closed with a denial to fix the bug.  That's all
there is to it, with no point in trying to search for some sort of
backdoor to bring it back.  By denying to fix a bug this obvious, the
developers are beyond hope.  Try it if it pleases you to do their
bidding.

I guess I could make a fork of systemd which fixes this bug.  But nobody
would care, so why waste my time on it.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)