why do we use systemd?

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Thu Jul 10 09:34:49 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Tom Horsley
Sent: woensdag 9 juli 2014 18:24
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: why do we use systemd?

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 11:57:26 -0400
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> if anyone is pushing for alternatives, they should understand that
> systemd isn't just a init system

Which is, of course, the primary thing that is wrong with it :-).

Unix/linux grew successfully for years by dividing things into small independent pieces and making them work on one thing well.

Systemd is now engulfing practically all of linux. A bug in one piece can make dozens of other things fail, and it is so large and complex that there *will* be bugs in pieces of it.

When there were separate bits, you could simply turn off the bits you had no need for.

A monolithic systemd can't be turned off or even down. In fact it has been instructive to watch the memory indicator in my gkrellm monitor on my not very big system at work.
It has been steadily moving up every fedora release.