OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jul 11 23:54:04 UTC 2014

This is of course not a Fedora issue as such, but I have tried hard and
without success to find answers elsewhere.  And since this list has so
many contributors who are *so* knowledgeable (abrasive, cranky, cryptic,
but above all *knowledgeable*) I thought I would ask here.

The question is actually two-fold:

(1) From time to time, for no reason that I can discern, Thunderbird
spontaneously unsubscribes all (or perhaps most of) my email folders and
subfolders.

I can of course re-subscribe to them, but since I have a rather large
number of folders and subfolders (and subsubfolders ...) this is a
lengthy and tedious task.

Has anyone any insight into why this unsubscription phenomenon should
occur and how one might prevent it from occurring?

(2) Failing the last, is there any way to *speed up* the process of
re-subscribing?  I would like a way of essentially subscribing to
*everything*, with a single click (or something like that) and then be
able to go through and unsubscribe to those relatively few folders to
which I do not wish to subscribe.

Groping around on the web I found a way to bypass the "subscribe"
system.  One goes to Edit -> Account Settings -> Server Settings ->
Advanced, and then unchecks "Show only subscribed folders".

This is not too bad, but it leaves me with a number of bits of crap in
my folder list that I *do not* wish to see.  Things that Thunderbird
imposes on the user, like "Journal", "Junk E-Mail", "Notes", "Sent
Items", "Sent Messages", etc.  (The last two really puzzle me; what
function might they serve that is different from the function of the
"Sent" folder?)  It seems to be impossible to get rid of these, and the
only way to mask them is to unsubscribe.  But then I need to *subscribe*
to all of the stuff that I *do* want to see.

Grateful for any insight or advice.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P. S. I am running Thunderbird 17.0.7, if that is of any relevance.

R. T.

Rolf Turner
Technical Editor ANZJS