OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Sat Jul 12 00:04:55 UTC 2014

On 07/11/2014 04:54 PM, Rolf Turner issued this missive:

> This is of course not a Fedora issue as such, but I have tried hard and
> without success to find answers elsewhere.  And since this list has so
> many contributors who are *so* knowledgeable (abrasive, cranky, cryptic,
> but above all *knowledgeable*) I thought I would ask here.
>
> The question is actually two-fold:
>
> (1) From time to time, for no reason that I can discern, Thunderbird
> spontaneously unsubscribes all (or perhaps most of) my email folders and
> subfolders.
>
> I can of course re-subscribe to them, but since I have a rather large
> number of folders and subfolders (and subsubfolders ...) this is a
> lengthy and tedious task.
>
> Has anyone any insight into why this unsubscription phenomenon should
> occur and how one might prevent it from occurring?
>
> (2) Failing the last, is there any way to *speed up* the process of
> re-subscribing?  I would like a way of essentially subscribing to
> *everything*, with a single click (or something like that) and then be
> able to go through and unsubscribe to those relatively few folders to
> which I do not wish to subscribe.
>
> Groping around on the web I found a way to bypass the "subscribe"
> system.  One goes to Edit -> Account Settings -> Server Settings ->
> Advanced, and then unchecks "Show only subscribed folders".
>
> This is not too bad, but it leaves me with a number of bits of crap in
> my folder list that I *do not* wish to see.  Things that Thunderbird
> imposes on the user, like "Journal", "Junk E-Mail", "Notes", "Sent
> Items", "Sent Messages", etc.  (The last two really puzzle me; what
> function might they serve that is different from the function of the
> "Sent" folder?)  It seems to be impossible to get rid of these, and the
> only way to mask them is to unsubscribe.  But then I need to *subscribe*
> to all of the stuff that I *do* want to see.
>
> Grateful for any insight or advice.

I'm running Thunderbird 24.5.0. I haven't seen this issue, but I don't
subscribe to a ton of folders, either (I think I have about 14 on the
server, probably 20 or so local folders).

Is it possible that it's your IMAP server that's dropping your
subscriptions?
- Political Correctness: The insane doctrine that postulates that it -
-     is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.       -