OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Jul 12 02:44:57 UTC 2014

On 07/12/14 08:27, Rolf Turner wrote:
> On 12/07/14 12:14, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>> Are you talking about imap folders?  If so, the subscription information is kept on the server side.  So, for example, when I use T-Bird on a Virtual Machine and define my existing email account all my subscribed folders are displayed.  That is the way IMAP works.  This way any IMAP client show show the same information making it easy to move from system to system and have access to the same information.
>>
>> Is your IMAP server under your control?
>
> I don't *think* it is under my control.  The server is run by the University of Auckland and is presumably under the control of the U. of A. IT department.  Who are, of course, a law unto themselves. :-)

OK.  I could have assumed you were talking about the University's server.....but didn't want to do that.

FWIW, it seems your IMAP server is....

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ telnet uxchange10-web-f5vip.auckland.ac.nz 143
Trying 130.216.158.31...
Connected to uxchange10-web-f5vip.auckland.ac.nz.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.

YUCK!

And old complaint about this sort of thing.....

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2068757

>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> Rolf Turner
>>>
>>> P. S. I am running Thunderbird 17.0.7, if that is of any relevance.
>>>

>> It should not matter....but that is a very old version.
>
> So how might I upgrade to the latest version?  I must confess that I am running a very elderly version of Fedora (17, to be explicit).  I don't dare try to upgrade my Fedora version, given what I have read on this list about the problems that are involved with such upgrades.  I cannot afford to be stuck with a broken system.  I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to fix a broken system and I have no local resources to give me assistance.
>
> Would I need a more recent version of Fedora in order to get a more recent version of Thunderbird to run?

Since F17 is EOL you can't update from the Fedora Repos.  You'd have to install the latest version after downloading from Mozilla's website.

>> No matter what version I've used, I've not had any problems in that area.
>
> Hmm.  As usual, the universe seems to be picking on *me*! :-)

You're never along on that count.