OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jul 12 04:51:19 UTC 2014

On 12/07/14 14:44, Ed Greshko wrote:

<SNIP>

>>> It should not matter....but that is a very old version.
>>
>> So how might I upgrade to the latest version? I must confess that
>> Iam running a very elderly version of Fedora (17, to be explicit). I
>> don't dare try to upgrade my Fedora version, given what I have read on
>> this list about the problems that are involved with such upgrades. I
>> cannot afford to be stuck with a broken system. I am not sufficiently
>> knowledgeable to be able to fix a broken system and I have no local
>> resources to give me assistance.
>>
>> Would I need a more recent version of Fedora in order to get a
>> morerecent version of Thunderbird to run?
>
> Since F17 is EOL you can't update from the Fedora Repos. You'd have
> toinstall the latest version after downloading from Mozilla's website.

Just tried to do that.  I:

* downloaded the tarball thunderbird-24.6.0.tar.bz2
* unpacked it, getting a directory "thunderbird"
* put this into /usr/lib64, which is where the thunderbird directory
   for my 17.0.7  version lived
* tried to start thunderbird
* got the error message

> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/thunderbird/libxul.so:
> libdbus-glib-1.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
> Couldn't load XPCOM.

Naturally I have no idea what this really means, or what if anything can
be done about it.

***Is*** there anything that can be done about it?  If so, what?  Please
keep it simple and explicit, if you would be so kind.  I need a *recipe*
--- "Do this, and then this, and then this ...."  I understand a fair
bit of Linux jargon, but there is a *HUGE* amount that I don't
understand, so please phrase things in a way that a non-techie might be
able to follow.

For the moment I have put the old version 17.0.7 thunderbird directory
(of which I had very cleverly --- :-) --- kept a copy) back in place,
and that version of thunderbird runs with no more problems than it ever had.

Thanks for any tips.

cheers,

Rolf Turner