OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Jul 12 05:32:04 UTC 2014

On 07/12/14 12:51, Rolf Turner wrote:

>> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/thunderbird/libxul.so:
>> libdbus-glib-1.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
>> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>
> Naturally I have no idea what this really means, or what if anything can be done about it.
>
> ***Is*** there anything that can be done about it?  If so, what?  Please keep it simple and explicit, if you would be so kind.  I need a *recipe* --- "Do this, and then this, and then this ...."  I understand a fair bit of Linux jargon, but there is a *HUGE* amount that I don't understand, so please phrase things in a way that a non-techie might be able to follow.

Well, unfortunately, mozilla only supplies the 32-bit version of T-Bird on their website and you're running 64-Bit Fedora 17.  You could make the 32-bit version run....but that would take effort.

Best to download the 64-bit version from here....

http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/24.6.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/

or

http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/24.6.0/linux-x86_64/en-GB/

if you prefer "British English".  :-)

Then all you need to do is un-tar the file and execute the thunderbird executable in that directory.  No need to move any files.