OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jul 12 13:18:10 UTC 2014

On 12/07/14 17:32, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/12/14 12:51, Rolf Turner wrote:
>>
>>> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/thunderbird/libxul.so:
>>> libdbus-glib-1.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
>>> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>>
>> Naturally I have no idea what this really means, or what if anything
>> can be done about it.
>>
>> ***Is*** there anything that can be done about it?  If so, what?
>> Please keep it simple and explicit, if you would be so kind.  I need a
>> *recipe* --- "Do this, and then this, and then this ...."  I
>> understand a fair bit of Linux jargon, but there is a *HUGE* amount
>> that I don't understand, so please phrase things in a way that a
>> non-techie might be able to follow.
>
> Well, unfortunately, mozilla only supplies the 32-bit version of T-Bird
> on their website and you're running 64-Bit Fedora 17.  You could make
> the 32-bit version run....but that would take effort.
>
> Best to download the 64-bit version from here....
>
> http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/24.6.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/
>
> or
>
> http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/24.6.0/linux-x86_64/en-GB/
>
> if you prefer "British English".  :-)
>
> Then all you need to do is un-tar the file and execute the thunderbird
> executable in that directory.  No need to move any files.

Nearly there I think.  I downloaded the second tarball (I *do* prefer
British English) and unpacked it; I cd-ed to the resulting thunderbird
directory and executed ./thunderbird.  The program started OK --- I am
now using it (i.e. I am using thunderbird 24.6.0) --- but I got a message:

> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so:
> wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

Don't know what the nppdf.so bizzo is about, and things *seem* to be
running OK, but getting messages I don't understand makes me nervous.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the nppdf.so thing does, and how I
can get one of the correct "ELF class"?  Presumably this is the 32 bit
vs. 64 bit dichotomy showing up again.

Thanks.

cheers,

Rolf Turner