live cd install to a LV

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Mon Jul 14 01:52:31 UTC 2014

07/11/2014 01:07 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to install a live CD to a logical volume any more?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   I've tried repeatedly and just when I think I've got it the installer refuses to proceed.
>
> What's the filename of the ISO you're using? What are the steps to reproduce the problem, and what's the error message you get?

Hi Chris,

I finally got the time to check into this.

The iso is Fedora-Live-Xfce-x86_64-20-1 copied to and booted from a
thumb drive.

I'm not sure how to reproduce the install problems elsewhere but here is
how the problem manifests itself here:

The LVM system has this to say:

PV is 148.53GiB consumed 100% by a VG, extents are 32MiB.
pvdisplay and vgdisplay report free space 1805/56.41GiB.

The installer reports 1.71GiB available space.  Somewhere between the
tools to which I have access and the installer 54.70GiB have gone
unaccounted for.  I've rebooted from the thumb drive several times just
to make sure something wasn't hanging around.

I've created and removed many LVs on this drive so my best guess is that
somehow the installer is arriving at its idea of free space by counting
as used space some that has been previously freed.

Any idea where to go from here?

Thanks,
Mike Wright