live cd install to a LV

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jul 14 03:09:05 UTC 2014

On Jul 13, 2014, at 7:52 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:

> The LVM system has this to say:
>
> PV is 148.53GiB consumed 100% by a VG, extents are 32MiB.
> pvdisplay and vgdisplay report free space 1805/56.41GiB.

> The installer reports 1.71GiB available space.  Somewhere between the tools to which I have access and the installer 54.70GiB have gone unaccounted for.  I've rebooted from the thumb drive several times just to make sure something wasn't hanging around.

I know what the problem is, I can reproduce it. The installer wants to create a new PV or VG, I'm not sure which. Probably for sure it expects to create a new VG by default. It's not using the existing VG. And until you successfully create an LV, the UI to change VGs isn't even available.

So in my case, I have less than 1MB free space, and I'm stuck. I can't create an LV less than 1MB in size, so I can't get to the UI to switch it to use the existing VG. So I'm actually stuck and can't go forward.

You on the other hand could create /home as say 500MB. Then after it's created, click on the /home mount point and on the right side UI you'll see that the Volume Group is something like Fedora 20. Click that pop-up menu, and change it to the existing VG you really want it in. Do not modify the Volume Group, unless you really intend to change something about it. Above the Volume Group pop-up is a Size field, that's for the LV, and you can change that from 500mb to something sane. Then click Update Settings. Do the same thing for /. In the off chance that it will refuse to create a 500mb root, you might be better off going back to /home, and changing its mount point to / and the size, and the name of the LV. Update Settings. Then add a new /home mount point.

Chris Murphy