Is this proof that systemd is completely broken?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:10:31 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram writes:
>>
>> This is one of the things that NM addresses with plugins so you can pick
>> and choose which features you want out of it.  Also by integrating with
>> existing tools, you don't have to go all or nothing.  As I noted earlier, in
>> Rawhide and Fedora 21, packages have already been split up.
>
> Just wondering what I have to look forward to after upgrading a working
> Fedora 20 server, that currently sets up all network interfaces with static
> IP addresses, from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg*; including several
> <ifname>:1 aliases, and including /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> which assigned the right network interface name to the appropriate hardware
> network port – which has worked for about a decade now – to Fedora 21.
>
> So, what exactly would be the probability of the server figuring out how to
> get back up on its network, after upgrading to Fedora 21; just wondering my
> chances.

"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network" will most likely disappear one day without
being replaced by "/usr/lib/systemd/system/network.service"...

You'll have a choice of networkd, NM, or a home-grown "network.service".

For networkd:

I have a Rawhide VM with a udev rule and an ifcfg file (both of which
still work). I moved them out of the way and replaced them with:

# cat /etc/systemd/network/net0.link
[Match]
MACAddress=52:54:00:16:16:16
[Link]
Name=net0

# cat /etc/systemd/network/net0.network
[Match]
Name=net0
[Address]
Address=10.0.2.16/24
[Route]
Gateway=10.0.2.2

and enabled "/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service". The result is:

# ip -4 a sh dev net0
2: net0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet 10.0.2.16/24 brd 10.0.2.255 scope global net0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

# ip r
default via 10.0.2.2 dev net0
10.0.2.0/24 dev net0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.0.2.16

For NM:

You'd create:

# cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/net0
[connection]
id=net0
type=802-3-ethernet
[ipv4]
method=manual
address1=10.0.2.16/24,10.0.2.2
[802-3-ethernet]
mac-address=52:54:00:16:16:16

For networkd:

To create an alias, you have to add
[Address]
Label=net0:0
Address=10.0.2.16/24

For NM:

I have no idea how to mimic the label part of "ip a add <ip> dev net0
label net0:0".