wanted: performance laptop, no windoze tax

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Jul 16 18:36:05 UTC 2014

On 7/16/2014 8:07 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Sorry, I know this subject has been written about before.  But google shows
> mostly 5 year old info.

No need to apologize for the subject because technology advances, so the
answer changes for the same questions.

> What are some recommendations for a relatively high performance laptop that
> works well on linux, and without paying windoze tax?

This question needs to be answered relative to a triple of
considerations including performance, price, and availability.
Compromises among these characteristics may be necessary to make a
timely, affordable choice.

If your definition of performance includes both video and data
processing performance, then higher screen pixel densities, tending
toward quad resolution (3840 x 2160), or closer to it, will be
considered.  Other similar terminology includes 4K screens or QHD+
displays.  This level of hardware needs appropriate software to support
it, and that means a combination of vendor video drivers, kernel
performance, and scalable-resolution application support.  At this
moment, the optimal combination of these factors may not yet be ready to
install and use on the higher-resolution laptop screens.

If your definition of performance does not require higher-definition
video, then the number of candidate machines increases, their prices
decrease considering their capabilities, and software development may be
relatively more complete and better match the hardware capabilities.
These products are available to put into service without waiting for
advancements in video software development.

If price is an important consideration, you may wish to consider
refurbished equipment to obtain a better performance to price ratio, and
with your choice of distribution version given adequate support of each
of the machine's capabilities.  If your requirement is new hardware that
has never been sold with a Windows license, then choices among hardware
capabilities likely will be restrained among models, and price
differentials may be relatively modest.

Ken