the unix leave command

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 11:37:39 UTC 2014

On 20 July 2014 05:59, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 07/20/14 12:21, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> On 19Jul2014 19:08, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> is there an analog for it in Linux?
>>
>> More context?
>

> I had to look it up to find the FreeBSD man-page.
>
> The leave utility waits until the specified time, then reminds you that you have to leave. You are reminded 5 minutes and 1 minute before the actual time, at the time, and every minute thereafter. When you log off, leave exits just before it would have printed the next message.

It's a very hard command name to search for, but I don't think it's
normally packaged for Linux. However it's basically a single file in
the BSD tree which seems to compile and run okay under Linux, if you
go to:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/leave/
You can open leave.c then select download.
Remove or comment line 42: __FBSDID("$FreeBSD$");
Then compile and enjoy your somewhat annoying reminder utility.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk