the unix leave command

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 17:44:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 July 2014 05:59, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> More context?
> >

> > I had to look it up to find the FreeBSD man-page.
> >
> > The leave utility waits until the specified time, then reminds you that
you have to leave. You are reminded 5 minutes and 1 minute before the
actual time, at the time, and every minute thereafter. When you log off,
leave exits just before it would have printed the next message.

> It's a very hard command name to search for, but I don't think it's
> normally packaged for Linux. However it's basically a single file in
> the BSD tree which seems to compile and run okay under Linux, if you
> go to:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/leave/
> You can open leave.c then select download.
> Remove or comment line 42: __FBSDID("$FreeBSDquot;);
> Then compile and enjoy your somewhat annoying reminder utility.

Thanx Ian.
That version, although dated, is the one that
does not use the buffer overflow func calls puts, and fputs.
It uses the write system call.
​