eth0 again

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Jul 20 15:59:15 UTC 2014

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 15:54:41 +0000 (UTC)
"Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I have to install Matlab on a Fedora 20 machine and I need to rename
> the network device to eth0, or else Matlab won't install. This is a
> known issue:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/100235-why-can-t-i-activate-matlab-or-start-the-license-manager-in-a-newer-linux-environment#answer_109583
>
> So, to revert to eth0, I follow these instructions:

...snip...

> So NW somehow likes em1, despite all my efforts. If I stop and
> disable NW, then the network does not even start upon boot, as it
> should. How do I tell NW to leave my network alone and still have the
> network start upon boot?

Two things leap to mind:

1. Do you have the 'biosdevname' package installed? It's yet another
older way of renaming things. You can simply remove it if you do, or
pass biosdevname=0 on the boot line to disable it.

2. Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg* files... move them to
the names with the mac addresses that you want.

kevin