eth0 again

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 20 16:13:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 09:59:15 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 15:54:41 +0000 (UTC)
> "Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I have to install Matlab on a Fedora 20 machine and I need to rename
>> the network device to eth0, or else Matlab won't install. This is a
>> known issue:
>>
>> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/100235-why-can-t-i-activate-matlab-or-start-the-license-manager-in-a-newer-linux-environment#answer_109583
>>
>> So, to revert to eth0, I follow these instructions:
>
> ...snip...
>
>> So NW somehow likes em1, despite all my efforts. If I stop and
>> disable NW, then the network does not even start upon boot, as it
>> should. How do I tell NW to leave my network alone and still have the
>> network start upon boot?
>
> Two things leap to mind:
>
> 1. Do you have the 'biosdevname' package installed? It's yet another
> older way of renaming things. You can simply remove it if you do, or
> pass biosdevname=0 on the boot line to disable it.

I tried that (biosdevname=0) first, before I saw the new ways. No go.

> 2. Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg* files... move them to
> the names with the mac addresses that you want.
>
> kevin

[root at phoenix ~]# ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo

[root at phoenix ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
DEFROUTE="yes"
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
NAME="eth0"
UUID="8b3948d3-4447-4016-8d24-1e26f65a3008"
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR0=192.168.1.40
PREFIX0=24
GATEWAY0=192.168.1.1
DNS1=192.168.1.1
USERCTL=no
HWADDR=00:0C:F1:BC:29:FE
IPV6_PEERDNS=yes
IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes

That's why I'm so baffled. Neither the old nor the new methods work.

If I boot interactively, what should I be looking for?