eth0 again

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 03:40:16 UTC 2014

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:53:33 +0000 (UTC)
"Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately the device is sill named em1, not eth0. So it's not NM.
> I don't understand why the udev rules files are ignored. Bug maybe?
> I'll report it and see what happens.

AFAIK udev rules allow you to rename your network device to any name
*except* to eth. The eth namespace is reserved for the kernel, and udev
will refuse to rename anything to that. But it should work for any
other name you choose, like lan0, net0, etc. I remember reading about
this somewhere, but atm cannot find the right link. But the essential
explanation is given here:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-desktops/2011-February/003762.html

The only thing I can think of is to pass

  biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0

to the kernel, and hope.

But the real solution is to talk to Matlab developers and ask them to
fix their software (if you paid for it, you should have some leverage
in that). The eth namespace is not coming back, and the sooner they fix
their software, the better for their customers.

HTH, :-)
Marko