eth0 again

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 05:11:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 04:40:16 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:53:33 +0000 (UTC)
> "Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately the device is sill named em1, not eth0. So it's not NM.
>> I don't understand why the udev rules files are ignored. Bug maybe?
>> I'll report it and see what happens.
>
> AFAIK udev rules allow you to rename your network device to any name
> *except* to eth. The eth namespace is reserved for the kernel, and udev
> will refuse to rename anything to that. But it should work for any
> other name you choose, like lan0, net0, etc. I remember reading about
> this somewhere, but atm cannot find the right link. But the essential
> explanation is given here:
>
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-desktops/2011-February/003762.html

Interesting, although I got it to work. Now I'm thinking that what I did
shouldn't have worked.

> But the real solution is to talk to Matlab developers and ask them to
> fix their software (if you paid for it, you should have some leverage
> in that). The eth namespace is not coming back, and the sooner they fix
> their software, the better for their customers.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

Of course, that's the right course of action, but there must be a critical
mass of requests for them to bother, I think. So far it's just me and
another guy. Don't know if they've fixed it in recent versions (2014) but
this install is on a 32-bit pc and the last 32-bit linux version they have
is 2012a, which I doubt they'll fix. I'm stuck with it for the life of this pc.