Figuring out a headless server's zeroconf addr

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jul 21 14:55:25 UTC 2014

I have a headless system that I cannot connect to.  So I was thinking to
put a direct connection to it and my notebook.  Both ethernets would use
the zeroconf (169.254.0.0/16) addresses.  I could then use fping

fping -g 169.254.0.0/16

And SHOULD be able to get its address, and then SSH into the box.

Any other thoughts?  I can't get to the box to recable it and reboot it
(as that is the only way I can figure out for it to readdress eth0)
until this evening.