NFS with latest kernel refusing mount requests

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon Jul 21 13:30:54 UTC 2014

Just updated this system to kernel-3.15.6-200 and the NFS exported home
directory on it all of a sudden can't be mounted from any other system
on my network.  Rebooted to the previous 3.15.5-200 kernel and it's back
to normal.  We have some legacy stuff using NIS and automounted
directories, mostly SciLinux 6.5 stuff.

Log entry:
Jul 21 07:32:15 <hostname> rpc.mountd[16359]: refused mount request from
<ipaddress> for /export/home (/export/home): unmatched host

I looked at /etc/exports, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, nothing
seemed out of place and since it's working in the previous kernel I
suspect something in the new kernel is causing the issue. Nothing else
that got updated this morning seems to be a likely cause.

Running a "getent netgroup <netgroup_name>" gave me the expected results
which included the system trying to mount the shared directory.

Just curious if anyone else sees similar issues with the latest kernel.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator
stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil