NFS Performance Woes

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Tue Jul 22 10:12:02 UTC 2014

On 21/07/14 21:27, Ed Greshko wrote:

>> For all intents and purpose it looks like its working as it should, it's just painfully slow.
>>
>> Any NFS gurus out there, that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> I've been using NFSv4 extensively for several years and I've not had an issue that you describe where everything is fine and then suddenly performance goes to hell in a hand basket.

Yeah it's really annoying. I could accept it, if performance was
terrible all the time. I'd just figure I had some configuration setting
out of whack, but it's the fact it works great.. then wham. To be honest
it almost feels as if a cron job overnight it causing something to go
screwy. It'll run fine all day, the next day, back to shit. That's
without making any configuration changes.

> It sounds as if you only have 2 systems to work with?  No, tiebreaker so to speak?

Actually, I have a couple of netbooks which hang off the wifi, although
the NFS exports are set to read only on those, it's probably worth
changing that and doing some further testing.

> Have you considered running a VM on your client system to see if it is affected in the same way?

I hadn't considered that. Good idea. When the client's having a crisis,
I can spin up the VM on the client and see if that's affected. I guess
it would it least tell me if it's a hardware/driver quirk or a software
issue.

--
Ian Chapman.