NFS Performance Woes

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 21 13:27:50 UTC 2014

On 07/21/14 19:59, Ian Chapman wrote:
> Nfsstat, wireshark and the system logs do not show anything which screams there's a problem.
>
> The network card in the client machine and the server shows no collisions, dropped packets, frame overruns etc.
>
> I've tested with the export that isn't using Kerberos and still have the same issue. Messing with the rsize, wsize, async, sync parameters makes no difference either.
>
> The server has 32GB RAM, the client 16GB.
>
> For all intents and purpose it looks like its working as it should, it's just painfully slow.
>
> Any NFS gurus out there, that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I've been using NFSv4 extensively for several years and I've not had an issue that you describe where everything is fine and then suddenly performance goes to hell in a hand basket.

It sounds as if you only have 2 systems to work with?  No, tiebreaker so to speak?

Have you considered running a VM on your client system to see if it is affected in the same way?