NFS Performance Woes

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Tue Jul 22 10:51:34 UTC 2014

On 21/07/14 20:14, Tom Horsley wrote:

>> Any NFS gurus out there, that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Not a useful answer, I'm afraid:
>
> In my experience, the fundamental problem is caused by using NFS.
>
> With all the folks re-writing things that don't need to be replaced,
> I really wonder why no one seems to be re-writing NFS, which has been
> utterly unreliable and trouble prone since day one :-(.

Sure, it has its issues, but to be honest most network file-systems do.
CIFS is no better and in some ways takes more babysitting than NFS.
Others don't have wide support amongst many platforms and then there's
the differences in implementations. Do you use anything instead of NFS?
I toyed with GlusterFS a few months ago and whilst it worked, following
various snippets of info on the web, I found the documentation lacking
and the admin tools confusing.

--
Ian Chapman.