new kernels & rebooting

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 19:24:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/21/2014 03:19 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> You'd still be able to use your config - the first step 5.
>>
>> The method that I suggested is right because (and I made a mistake
>> earlier and shouldn't have suggested that you use rpm) you can install
>> your kernel with "yum install ..." and remove it with "yum remove ..."
>> - and use it on more than one system if necessary.
>
> not sure what the steps are to reproduce what you are talking about..
> how do you make a ... kernel.....rpm

>From "make help":

Kernel packaging:
  rpm-pkg             - Build both source and binary RPM kernel packages
  binrpm-pkg          - Build only the binary kernel package
  deb-pkg             - Build the kernel as a deb package
  tar-pkg             - Build the kernel as an uncompressed tarball
  targz-pkg           - Build the kernel as a gzip compressed tarball
  tarbz2-pkg          - Build the kernel as a bzip2 compressed tarball
  tarxz-pkg           - Build the kernel as a xz compressed tarball
  perf-tar-src-pkg    - Build perf-3.15.2.tar source tarball
  perf-targz-src-pkg  - Build perf-3.15.2.tar.gz source tarball
  perf-tarbz2-src-pkg - Build perf-3.15.2.tar.bz2 source tarball
  perf-tarxz-src-pkg  - Build perf-3.15.2.tar.xz source tarball