new kernels & rebooting

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Mon Jul 21 20:35:07 UTC 2014

On 21.07.2014, Tom H wrote:

> The method that I suggested is right

There's no "wrong" or "right". It's just one way to do it (not mine).
But of course, it can be the way for others. It's perfectly fine to build a
kernel by using rpm an manage it using yum, but it's not what I
prefer.

> because (and I made a mistake earlier and shouldn't have suggested
> that you use rpm) you can install your kernel with "yum install ..."
>  and remove it with "yum remove ..."
> - and use it on more than one system if necessary.

I install my kernel using "make install", and remove it by deleting
the sourcetree, kernel & co. in /boot and its modules in
/lib/modules/. It's what fits best for me.