running vncserver via systemctl on Fedora 20

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jul 21 19:33:39 UTC 2014

I have run vncserver for years, naturally as 'service vncserver start'.
But now it is all systemd and systemctl.  Fine.  So I think I have to
configure it for my user, as I always use to edit
/etc/sysconfig/vncserver with:

VNCSERVERS="2:alice 3:bob"

So I found I had to:

cp /lib/systemd/system/vncserver at .service
/etc/systemd/system/vncserver at .service

but I could not figure out what I needed to edit in this file.  So I
tried to start the service with:

systemctl start vncserver

And got:

Failed to issue method call: Unit vncserver.service failed to load: No
such file or directory.

So what am I missing?

Also in ~/.vnc/xstartup I changed the execute to:

exec gnome-session &

But the xstartup is created the first time I would start the server...

So things are really working differently and I would appreciate some
pointers.

thanks