NFS Performance Woes

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Tue Jul 22 09:20:43 UTC 2014

On 22/07/14 02:39, Peter Skensved wrote:

>> I've been using NFSv4 extensively for several years and I've not had an issue that you
>> describe where everything is fine and then suddenly performance goes to hell in a hand basket.
>>
>> It sounds as if you only have 2 systems to work with?  No, tiebreaker so to speak?
>>
>> Have you considered running a VM on your client system to see if it is affected in the same way?
>>
>    DNS problems can do it . Are your /etc/resolv.conf files correct ?
> You could try running your own nameserver ( dnsmasq ) if the upstream
> one is too slow or too busy.

I'm fairly sure it's not DNS. I run a DNS server actually on the same
server, which serves NFS exports with the only DNS server in resolv.conf
being itself (over localhost). All clients point to that DNS server and
only that one. It's authoritative for my home LAN and both forward and
reverse lookups work and resolve correctly and quickly too. Besides, the
exports are specified by IP address on the server and the problem still
occurs even why I mount an export from the client machine using the
server's IP as opposed to its hostname.

--
Ian Chapman.