screen program sending garbage

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jul 28 15:16:26 UTC 2014

I am using the 'screen' program to interface with a USB serial device to
my armv7 console (Cubieboard 2).  This worked just fine friday morning with:

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Later friday, I reconnected everything and working with a new build, any
typing on my part was displayed as garbage characters and the system
acted as such.  Display from the console was just fine; all the messages
were proper characters (I had copy to logfile on). Today, after a 'yum
udpate' and system reboot the same behaviour.  I was able to try this on
another system and there the input is just fine.  I have tried different
USB ports on this computer, and still garbage.

So what might be happening.  I started with minicom, and that actually
would not send anything at 115200 and was recommended to use screen that
did work for half a day (and works fine on another system).

How might I trouble shoot this or use instead of 'screen'.