python error in updated yum FC20

Barry txscope at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 28 15:44:15 UTC 2014

I installed Fedora 20 yesterday, and after the installation was done, I
installed a few packages successfully and then updated all the packages,
and then shut down

Today when I first turned on the machine, I tried installing the
remaining stuff I want, and I got a python error, to wit:

  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yum/i18n.py", line 1
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xfb' in file
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yum/i18n.py on line 2, but no encoding
declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

I took a look at i18n.py, and it's a binary file, which couldn't be
right.

There's no i18n.pyo, but there is a i18n.pyc.

It seems to me I might be able to reinstall python from the rpm, but I'm
not sure about this.

Thanks for any help