Importing mail archive into Thuderbird

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Jul 29 22:02:00 UTC 2014

On 29Jul2014 14:58, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>I am asking this here, as my system is F20 with Thunderbird 24.7.0.
>
>I have downloaded an month's archived messages for Centos-arm and want
>to import them into Thunderbird where I could then respond to them
>more easily.
>
>I tried the Tools>Import but when I select email, nothing is listed in
>the dialog box.  So how might I do the import?  Where might i find
>instructions?

Where did you fetch them from?
When form are they in?

For myself, the easiest way to import lots of messages is for them to be in
UNIX mbox format (normal UNIX flat file containing messages separated by "From
" lines); that is what Thurderbird uses.

Shout down Thunderbird. Move ("mv -i", to avoid accidents) the mbox into your
Thunderbird Local Folders directory with a sensible name. Start Thunderbird.
Your should have a new local folder, with which you can do as you like.

Disclaimer: I prefer to use mutt.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>