Unable to hibernate fc20 system

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 22:42:59 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Luke Nath <lukenath at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On fc20 with mate desktop.
>
> Clicking System -> Shutdown
>
> does not show the option to hibernate.
>
> Am I missing a package? Is this a mate problem??

Do you have a large enough swap partition?

Check /proc/swaps, which lists your swap partition size in kilobytes,
against /proc/meminfo, which lists your total memory (MemTotal) also
in kilobytes.  Make sure that the swap partition is bigger than the
total memory of your system.

If it is not, or you do not have a swap partition, hibernation will
not be available.  (And unfortunately `pm-is-supported` still says
hibernation is possible when this is the case, since it only checks if
your hardware is capable, not your software.  :-)

-T.C.