Install problem (Fedora 20-32bit

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Jun 9 05:42:45 UTC 2014

On 06/08/2014 08:55 PM, Doug wrote:

> OI downloaded the whole thing and burned a DVD. Thanx to the folks
> who advised me to get the 64-bit version. I'll install it later
> tonite, if
> I don't run into any further trouble. When it's installed and running
> I'll post back, and if it doesn't install and run, I'll also post back!

/snip/
> --doug
I'm afraid Fedora is not for me. After trying several times to get
it to install to two empty partitions on sda, I installed a second
hard drive. It seems to have installed, but during the install a
message:
"A problem has occurred in the screen setting daemon..."
Unlike the 32-bit install, which gave me the option of KDE, if I could
have installed it,
there was no option. I think it's some kind of GNOME, but I'm not sure.
Now that it is apparently installed, there is no way to set the clock, there
is no way to shutdown (except to pull the switch on the computer)
Firefox wants to upgrade, but it sends a compressed file, and there's no
way to get to a terminal to uncompress it. Along the way,  more
complaints about stuff that doesn't work (by Fedora, not me):
first, gnome settings, then glibc, then systemd.  (Now I know why
everybody hates systemd. . . .)
I have never seen a Linux that looked like this, and I hope I never do
again.
Thanx for your interest, but I'm going to erase this off my drive.

--doug