Desktop Sharing from Windows 8.1

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:37:27 UTC 2014

I have a small home network, with two machines on it. One runs Windows
8.1. The other runs Fedora 20.

I recently figured out how to open a Samba share on the F20 machine, and
set up a trusted firewall zone.

Now I keep getting notices like this:

"Desktop Sharing: refused uninvited connection attempt from..." followed
by an IP address and port number. The IP address is that of the Windows
8.1 machine, which seems to be trying a different port each time.

I've looked at every administrative tool on both machines, and I can't
figure out what that "desktop sharing" is all about, whether it would
benefit me to have those two machines connect in this way, or how to
make it happen if I wanted to.

I need the help of someone more familiar with Windows 8.1 than
myself--for I suspect this is some new Windows feature that the Samba
server and client software is not designed to recognize, much less emulate.

This is the only anomaly. The two machines are perfectly capable of
sharing files with one another, at least when I connect as one user with
the comparable user account on the other machine. Which is all I was
really after.

I'm going through all this because I want to replicate my F20 setup on
another, more powerful machine. And I'm going to do it with a "clean
install."

Temlakos