Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Jun 10 21:13:01 UTC 2014

On 06/10/2014 04:51 PM, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 11:13 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>      I have the akmod.nvidia and kmod.nvidia proprietary drivers
>> installed and when they are updated, the package manager I use tells me
>> about the packages that have to be uninstalled in order to do the update
>> (this package manager seems to uninstall to old kmod package and
>> installs the new one rather than update as such), but when I look at
>> what dnf would do if I used that, it just tells me it is going to update
>> the kmod driver and mentions nothing about the peripheral packages that
>> will be removed.
>>      Is this normal functionality or is it a Beta testing issue?
>
> Stephen,
>
> what would you say a difference between 'updating' and 'removing and
> insatlling new version' is? What is the benefit of the latter in your
> specific case?

Hi Ales,
     I'm not saying there is any benefit of one over the other, all I am
saying is that the package manager I currently use seems to be using the
latter method when upgrades to the kmod.nvidia packages are required.
What I am querying is that with the last update I did a couple of days
ago the package manager said that there were 2 other packages that
needed to be removed for the updates to happen as well as the removal of
the package being updated and mentioned that the new version was going
to be installed rather than updated, but when I tried DNF it mentioned
that it was going to update the kmod.nvidia package and mentioned
nothing about the 2 additional packages being removed. Hence looking at
the summary stats from both packages DNF said there was 1 more update
and 1 less install than what the package manager I normally use said,
plus the package manager I normally use also said there were 2 packages
to remove whereas DNF said there were none.

regards,
Steve