Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Fri Jun 13 23:01:36 UTC 2014

On 06/13/2014 02:53 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-06-13 at 08:06 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> I've checked the installonly_limit in yum.conf and it is set to 3,
>> which now confuses me because I've never had more than one kernel
>> installed even when doing updates with yum.
> That's never been my experience.
>
> But, do you really mean that there's only one kernel because you've
> directly checked that?  Or are you thinking that there was only one
> kernel because the GRUB menu didn't show you any others to choose from
> to boot with?
I checked how many kernels were physically in /boot and there was only
ever 1, which annoyed me because I'd just moved from Mandriva to Fedora
18 where Mandriva would not remove any old kernels at all and I used to
manually retain 3 kernel versions, even with smartpm 1.4.1 from
upstream, which I'm using under Fedora as well. Smartpm doesn't use yum
for its backend it uses rpm, so the functionality should be the same
under both distros, especially when its all script based.

regards,
Steve