Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jun 16 13:20:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 14:45:17 +0200,
  Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:

>ad b) how many times have this feature actually saved you from erasing the
>kernel? In 10+ years using Linux I have never managed to do this accidentally.
>That being said, if users accidentally instruct yum to erase the running
>kernel on a regular basis, we are will reconsider this argument. Hence the
>poll ... feel free to reopen the bug too, otherwise it might get off the radar.

Note that even updates can bite you if dnf will always be removing the
oldest kernel, even if that is the one you are running. There may be kernel
or dracut problems keeping the newer installed kernels from being usable
on a particular system. Also if the running kernel is removed, you won't be
able to load any modules that are already loaded.