slightly OT: incremental backup suggestions

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jun 19 13:10:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 07:59:01AM -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have decided to also create an incremental backup on my own and was
> wondering what you would recommend. I did some DDG'ing around and came
> up with rdiff-backup. Would you recommend this? (There are
> some more, but this one appears to have an rpm in the fedora
> repositories.) Personally, I am a great fan of rsync but I also wanted a
> setup that would be fast because I would like to run it every hour
> (say).

I'm no expert on these things, but I can suggest you take a look at
rsnapshot, which uses rsync to do the deed. It is probably most suitable
for backing up individual computers, or small numbers of systems, though
my own personal computer at home is all I've used it for, so far.
it's quick because it only copies the changes. rsnapshot.org.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us